Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Save The Hostas and Hydrangeas













Here is a neighbor's house that sits behind ours. According to the Allegheny County Website, it was built in 1890. The picture above was most likely taken in the 1980's or 90's and the residents then loved to garden. To the right of the foundation of this house are ferns, a few of which remain today. On the right side of the house, plants are now growing in the middle of a hedge of weeds, wild bushes, and poison ivy that separates this property from ours.

It was only this season that I spent time investigating this hedge. I found a hydrangea arborescens annabelle bush which has grown about 12 feet wide and 5 feet tall. Hydrangeas are not in my garden ambition because I always thought they were hard to maintain. And here they are, blooming non-stop inspite of this year's late frost.

In May it was a joy to see blue-green foliage on the ground until recently, I found hostas in trouble. I believe they are the blue umbrella ones. These hostas were just a dream and now they are here. They have spread about 15 feet wide, around the hydrangeas. They are approximately 2 feet tall.

There is a lot of vinca on the ground and forsythia is in abundance. There are wild bushes of berries which explains why i see the backyard birds underneath. Poison ivy is everywhere.





There are lilies growing under the tree by the road. I do not know for sure what they are, all I remember from the past seasons is orange blooms. They have not bloomed yet this year and there are no buds. Right in front of the lilies are blue ornamental grass, 'fescue' as I was told.



Like any gardener I have dreams for my backyard. For now, I would like to save the hydrangeas and hostas and whatever other treasures there are. As a new gardener and a transplant from Southeast Asia, I am clueless where to begin, and how to clean up the hedge. All I know is that my backyard has some good plants, and I would like to preserve and propagate what a previous neighbor had planted with love and devotion. I am blessed with what is growing in my backyard, it is a gift.


Between the hydrangea and hosta blooms, are stems with buds ready to open. More lilies i think.

3 comments:

Mari said...

Hello there. Bloghopping here from 'Beyond Flowers'. You have a nice blog here. I've, myself, started doing some planting, and trying to grow roses from cuttings and had success with two. Hurray!

I had a hard time getting to your blog, as it wasn't in your profile. Or was that on purpose? I have to google it.

Thanks for sharing your plant photos.

Anonymous said...

Hello
here I am looking at your pictures..
Your wilderness can be a garden, but it takes time.
The hydrangeas are Annabelle hydrangeas and the hostas are wonderful.
The biggest problems you have is
POISON IVY.
Please use Google to look at pictures and this will help you to indentify POISON IVY and how to protect yourself.
How would I start?
Clear out one area and make a new flowerbed with hosta plants, Annabelle hydrangeas and other flowers you have available.
In the fall cut back all hedges to ground level.
Next spring digg up all plants you want to keep and set aside for a new garden area.
Perhaps you can talk to your neighbours or garden center and ask for advice.
I can imagine how your old house & garden would look like in a few years.
I know it takes a lot of work, but
it can be done.
Pls. let me know how you are doing..and get digging..
cheers Gisela

MeMeMe said...

Thank you Mari and Gisella...
Gisella, I appreciate your advice. I need to check with my hubby if i can transplant the hydrangea and hostas from the wild hedge, to our 3 year-old yard... I'll wait til next year.